Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Oh that sounds like the 4x of my dreams. Usually that’s the point where I lose attention.

The music of Philip Glass makes everything just better ;)

The one major thing I disliked, from memory, was having to shuffle lots of units towards the late game, e.g. military units when a large war broke out. That was about the only time I thought stacks would have made more sense, and could have been limited by needing a named (i.e. from your court) commander in charge.

I also remember some annoyance with moving many labourer/worker units.

I read in this thread something about automation, does that include later game armies and workers?

I don’tsee at all how stacks or automation could work in a game where the fundamental concept is to limit the number of order you can make per turn, as in Rotk 5. If that is the case, I’m very disappointed ;(

Yeah, I’m looking to pick this up during the Epic mega sale (10 quid off) and almost entirely for the same reason! OTC is incredible and beautifully designed.

I was also curious what multiplayer options exist for Old World and… well, as expected, Mohawk have not only got it covered, but they did a very thorough blog post on it.

Oddly enough, the concept of orders is what I like most of this game, that I am limited mechanically and have to choose, so when there is a major war, my infrastructure suffers, or at least doesn’t get upgraded.

It makes the periods of peace more interesting :).

But it can get mighty annoying moving several dozens of units (I was playing on one step below default difficulty iirc, and would often have 50+ military units towards the end game) and I do think you can keep the orders system and have stacks.

Two clicks to move ten units instead of twenty clicks.

Infact, you could make forming and maintaining an army (a stack) cost logistical points.

I think the main argument against stacks is not that it breaks the logistics mechanic, but more that the AI might not handle it so well, as it then needs to decide how to combine all those units into a stack. One unit per turn also means fewer units overall I think, so less to worry about.

This is also a big draw for me too.

Stacks sounds like it’d break the interesting (in theory, i have hardly played the game yet!) balance of defenders having the advantage because of logistics (ie not having to shuffle those units around.
also would negate the possible big tactical bonus to surprising your opponent versus declaring war on them.

This game’s design feels so smart, I am just hoping it is as much as it looks!

That is an excellent blog, with very interesting turn style options.

From memory, it absolutely is.

Possibly, possibly not.

Anyway, my main complaint is the tedium of click to select, click to move.

I can’t think of any 4x/strategy game where this isn’t an issue, and it is especially noticeable in larger/longer form 4x games.

Even my beloved AoW suffers from this!

Been awhile since I played this, waiting for completion to play again. But I played 4 or 5 complete campaigns and I also felt a bit click fatigue mid-late campaign.

Not sure how you’d change this though.

In AoW3, there was a mechanic (which got dropped for PF) whereby you could designate a rally point for newly produced units.

So you could queue up units in 5 or 6 cities, for example, and when they were produce, they automatically went to your designated rally point.

It saved clicking.

I think it was removed in PF because the way you queue up units changed. In PF you pay when you queue up units, in preceding games you could queue up whatever you wanted and if there was not enough money, it just got held in the queue.

So, for Old World, you could designate an area for your units to assemble in, and also designate a % of orders to be used, and so have the units go there automatically, until fully assembled.

Perhaps have it so more expensive units go there first, or nearer ones, so you don’t end up having overly scattered forces.

That’s one way to do it, but you’d have to remember to turn it off lol.

Yeah suppose that could work. My brain doesn’t tend to work that way for some reason and I’ve never used rally points in games.

And in this game it seems like I might unintentionally burn my move allotment I decided I wanted for something else. Or I’d change my mind next turn because something came up that changed things.

Meh, minor in the scheme of things though because I very much like having a stack of moves to decide to use, it’s one of the core game designs that sets this one a bit apart.

I don’t know if it’s been mentionned before, but Mohawk got their own podcasts going (you can find it by looking up their names in a podcast app). Just listened to the first episode of their “Meet the team” one and I am so envious of this guy. Childhood in Mongolia :O

It hasn’t! Glad you said something. Subscribed.

That sounds exactly like the Civ6 game @dfs, @FinnegansFather, @Timemaster_Tim, and @rho21 were kind enough to give me suggestions on in the Civ6 thread. It was touch and go and very tense for the first half of the game. Now my score is twice that of my nearest competitor and I’m sitting on 24 cities.

It’s 1842AD and turn 292/500. I’d kind of like to finish the game, but it’s getting awfully boring managing all those cities and dealing with all those units. I thought it might maintain longer term interest in Civ6 to be able to try to play a game with each of the five victory conditions and maybe see if I could win with different leaders. But the game has become such a slog.

I’m definitely feeling the tedium of moving so many units that @BloodyBattleBrain mentioned also just so many cities to deal with. I seem to recall earlier Civ versions let us just turn cities over to AI governors to manage for us. At this point, that would have been a big help.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to checking Ten Crowns out. I’m trying to hold off for release, both for the smoother post-release experience and because I prefer having everything on Steam if I can.

Looks like July 1st is the release date, and also looks like it might be staying on the Epic store only for now.

Excellent!!!

This is most excellent news indeed! I won’t be able to play until the 10th or so, but am looking forward to the official release.