The XBOX One

There are (expensive) wireless headsets that don’t plug into the controller at all.

There are a few headsets now which have Microsoft’s proprietary protocol built into it. It makes them work extremely easily, but it means that you can only use them with the Xbox.

If you don’t mind that huge caveat, I got this one earlier this year and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZRTMXF

And the HD version of Silent Hill is on sale currently at $7.49, though my understanding is that this is not a very good version to play - maybe someone who has tried it can say more?

The HD collection was (I believe, in part) remastered from incomplete versions of the game. Details here -

Moreover, the early games don’t really translate well to HD. But it is nice to have them in one place.

Games with gold time! Here’s what’s coming up… Epic Mickey 2!

For Honor also joins august, which is a little surprising. I didn’t expect to see one of last year’s best selling games so soon. Dead Space 3 for those of us without EA Access.

There’s another game reviewed at 1 out of 5 stars here on Qt3, Forza Horizon 2. I enjoyed reading those comments. The DLC will probably be delisted soon. Grab Storm Island if you’re interested. It’s pretty cool.

@reply
I tried a little of Silent Hill HD on PS3. The fog was horrible, hopefully it’s better on 360.

I love Tom’s reviews of Microsoft games, they’re always a blast.

Never played a FH before and was hoping that I could play FH2 for free before plonking down for that FH3 bundle. I may just pass on FH3 in hopes it’ll go Game Pass when FH4 releases, in case I don’t like FH2.

Sweet! Looking forward to owning Dead Space 3 (remember, GwG 360 games are yours forever, not just the length of Gold membership or PS+ membership or EA Access membership, etc). That means I will own all 3 games on my Xbox account now.

Also looking forward to trying For Honor again, first time since the beta.

I already own Forza Horizon 2. I loved it at the time, but by the time I had the… pink ribbon, I think it was, I felt like I’d explored most of the area and didn’t need to keep going. Storm Island was pretty good too, but like the main game, it just has way too many events, so I never finished that either.

I guess I’ll try out Epic Mickey 2. See what Warren Spector had been up to after Deus Ex.

I’m really starting to warm up to this multiple group thing. Now I’ve got multiple games in multiple categories. I’ve got one category for games that I’ll want to install again once I have Game Pass again. I’ve got a category for Xbox Live Gold games that will expire one day when my Xbox Live Gold subscription expires (basically only XB1 games, since 360 GwG don’t expire). I’ve also just created a category for short games that I can maybe finish in a reasonable time. Then I’ve got one group for longer games.

Maybe I’ll start making groups by genre too. The cool part is, you don’t have to pin all the groups to Home. So for instance, since I’m no longer subscribed to Game Pass, I can remove that category from the Home page so it doesn’t clutter it up.

So yeah, I’m really liking the organizational potential here.

Yikes. Discus comments always got so childish and immediately into pointless console war stuff.

I’ve got groups for
“Daily” - Games I log into daily for rewards (Gems of War, ESO, Fallout Shelter). This is my first group, since that one auto-opens in the UI.
“In Progress” - Single player games I’m working through - way more items than there should be!
“Family Group Co-op Games” - those with 3+ players I can play with my kids (T rated or less).
“Family Co-op Games” - 2 player co-op games (T rated or less).
“Multiplayer Games” - All my M rated multiplayer titles.
There’s one more I’m forgetting right now.

A few handy shortcuts… you can add games to groups from the menu/options button ( ☰ ) menu.

You can also use the view button ( ❑ - closest Unicode I could find!) to grab items in the group and move it around or delete it.

I do wish there was an option to alphabetize things automatically.

Nice. Now I’ll be hoping they get added as free games as part of GwG one day, like the crappy one was in July (Conviction?).

Wait now, what was crappy about Conviction? Also, I don’t believe Blacklisted ever got a digital release so maybe that’s coming, though it still hasn’t happened for Batman Arkham Origins.

Heh. I’ve gone into it a few too many times at Qt3 so I feel sheepish in even bringing it up again.

Here’s a good summary in this post:

And then my own post when I tried the game.

Here we go, this article expresses it really well:

I’ll be damned, a moderately funny Penny Arcade. That one and the Professor Layton one, pretty good.

Anyway, I don’t even remember the dialogue. What I remember was the puzzle-like nature of hitting the right enemies to power up the mark and execute move so I could move through with minimal effort. That was fun, I wish they did more like that. I really liked Conviction.

I found these quotes in another post of mine about the game. Enjoy.

“It can’t be anyone from the inside; it’s gotta be Fisher!”

“Still don’t see Fisher. Are we sure he’s here, in Third Echelon?”

“No sign of hostile activity. Fisher wouldn’t try his luck here, that’d be fuckin’ crazy!”

“It’s gotta be Fisher!”

“Target is hiding. Be smart! Fisher’s a pro.”

When Fisher comes through here, he’s gonna be hit by so many rounds he’s gonna turn to soup."

“No sign of Fisher. I heard he kicked ass at Third Echelon, so we’d better get ready.”

“Area secure. Are we sure that Fisher’s in the Lincoln Memorial Zone?”

“Fisher’s on the loose! Fuck, you guys, we’re ready for war, and he’s gonna make fools of us again!”

“Show me how you did it back at the airfield, Fisher! Come Get Me!”

“First you left us at the Airfield, then you come to the fair? Come on, Fisher, it can’t be!!”

“You guys, if you see Fisher, shoot to kill. The guy’s an ex-SEAL, for fuck’s sake.”

“That’s right, Fisher, you’d better hide after what you did to Lambert!”

“Alright people, this is very simple. Some of you may have heard that Sam Fisher is somewhere around here.”

“Watch your back, guys - it looks like we might have a hostile. His name might be… fucking Fisher!”

Here’s one of my favorites:

“You’ll die on your knees, like a scientist!”

Argh! My XBox One X purchased in November 2017 and under warranty for 4 more months can’t boot up anymore. I get an E105 error every single time. And I can’t find any way to chat to support about it. All I’m offered is to tweet about it (how is that supposed to help me submit a detailed issue report?), talk to an XBox Gamer (what are they gonna do?) or post on the forums.

Is there no way to chat to a support representative anywhere?

For reference:

• I am NOT in the Preview program.
  • I have had issues at boot and have had to reset it once 3-4 months back. That worked first time.

Today:

• First boot: E102 00000C10 8007045D
  • Switched off. Unplugged power for 30 secs.
  • Unplugged everything (External HD and Lego Portal) restarted and chose to reset the console and delete everything.
  • Switched on with BIND and EJECT pressed to get to the troubleshooting screen
  • Selected to delete everything
  • On reboot, I got the following error: E105 00000000 8007045D

Since then:

• On boot, the console goes through “Preparing console…” screen
  • Prompts me to select a language
  • downloads an update for the UK language pack
  • verifies it successfully.
  • Installs, reboots
  • On reboot, I get E105 00000000 8007045D again

I have tried a complete reset 3 times. Every time, it seems to go through the factory set up but fails on the “Updates” step after downloading / installing the update and rebooting.

I can’t find much on the error, though the few posts I’ve seen about it on Reddit seemed to guess that it indicated a potential HD failure (not sure whether the common “8007045D” part of the error means anything) and ended up with the posters returning their XBox for an exchange.

Not sure what my best option is. Does MS offer any kind of direct support for those issues? I’m in UK. @LMN8R, how would you proceed to get some help with the error? Any idea?

EDIT: I posted the same message on the XBox Support forum just in case. I wonder whether talking to Amazon about it would help.

Unfortunately Microsoft does not have stores in the UK.

Here is the Great Britain information from Microsoft.

Thanks. Requesting a service might work. It’s under warranty and should be free.

Given the consumer protection laws in UK. I might even be able to get Amazon to send me a new one.

I guess I’ll go the service route directly. Just on the day my wife went away to see her mum abroad for 2 weeks and I was going to be able to play some No Man’s Sky and Mass effect Andromeda in the evenings. Figures. :(